November 11, 2007

GeoBlog

Parallel to this blog I am maintaining another blog - Life In Maps. There are not so many articles as here, however it is quite new and it will grow.

The blog contains maps of the places where I have been. This includes:

  • places where I have lived;
  • places which I have visited;
  • locations of events which I have attended.
For each location there is a map with a marker for the location. If the marker is pressed, a short video will be started if such is available. I have created the video clip with the help of animoto. The clip contains an album from my flickr photos, if there is an album for the location or the event in the map. My aim is to have a diary of the all the places which I have visited. There is a short description of the map as well. My intention is to make the descriptions longer.

Currently I have posted maps of my home in Bonn, of my working place - Fraunhofer FIT and of my trip to Amsterdam with my parents where we visited Madame Tussaud's.

The motivation behind the LifeInMaps blog was to check out how I can create a mashup using Google Maps and flickr. I was reading a lot about the mashups, I was fascinated with them but I had not tried them yet. At the same time I wanted more sophisticated geo-interface to my photos than what is offered by the Flickr Map functionality. So I created this geo-blog as a mashup experiment where I can try out and combine different services which are available in Internet. I know it can be improved a lot and I'll be grateful for every comment there.

No comments: